Friday, October 29, 2010

Scariest Movie Moments

There have been many scary movies over the years. I'll be the first to admit that I'm a wimp and don't like being scared. I like suspense and surprises, but I don't care for movies that get in your mind and freak you out long after you watch them. I don't think movies about serial killers, chainsaw wielding psychopaths, or monsters are that scary, but I do get spooked with the more subtle stuff like ghosts.

The first movie I remember being scared of was Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I saw it in the theater with my parents when I was a little kid. They ended up taking me out to the lobby. I'm not sure if it was the Oompa Loompas, watching kids get picked off, or Gene Wilder's hair, but something was just wrong and scary about that movie.

Here is a list of horror movies that scared me. Since I don't really care for the genre, I have not seen very many so my list is limited.

Psycho- A classic. The concept behind this movie has been copied quite a bit since then.
The Ring- I never thought a little girl could scare me so bad.
The Exorcist- I've only seen parts. I usually flip the channel when Linda Blair's head starts spinning.
The Shining- All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
Nosferatu-The original from 1922 and Klaus Kinsky's 1979 version.
Salems Lot-Several things about this TV movie freaked me out.
Poltergeist- I've never looked at clowns the same after seeing this movie.
Nightmare on Elm Street-Scary premise, but I can't vouch for any sequels.
Alien(s)- One of the few " monster" movies I think is scary.
What Lies Beneath-Harrison Ford is not supposed to be a bad guy!
The 6th Sense-My wife's family all slept in their living room after watching it because they were too afraid to sleep in separate bedrooms.
The Others-Not that scary, or original, but I liked it.
Diabolique-Suspenseful foreign film. The original 1955 French version.
Invasion of the Body Snatchers- Both the 1956 original and the 1978 remake.
The Haunting in Connecticut-Makes you want to get a detailed history of a home before you buy one.

What are some movies that have kept you from wanting to go down in the fruit cellar at night?

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

I am completely the same way. I really like suspense, and when a movie puts me on the edge of my seat, but nothing that will make it so I can't turn a corner without thinking someone is going to attack me! *cough*The Ring*cough*...Never again...

 
Large Association of Movie Blogs