Sunday, July 5, 2009

Australia

I had been warned that Australia was a long movie. I should have known better than to start an epic romance late at night. I only made it to the half way mark before I fell asleep. The next night I watched the second half earlier in the evening and made it through just fine.


After watching the entire film, I felt like I has seen a double feature. The first half was an Australian Cowboy/cattle drive movie and the second was an Australian war movie both of them focusing on the plight of the Aboriginal inhabitants. If you are interested in that aspect of the movie I would recommend A Rabbit Proof Fence instead.

I was expecting a different feel from a Baz Luhrmann movie. More along the lines of Strictly Ballroom or Moulin Rouge. I am not into musicals, but there were a few times when I wished someone would break into song and dance to liven it up. I felt this was more of a chick flick than an epic drama. Despite good performances from Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman, overall I thought it was only okay and give it 6.8 stars.

1 comment:

The Kid In The Front Row said...

This film is one of the least appealing films to me of all time. I can't even pinpoint why.

 
Large Association of Movie Blogs