Monday, October 5, 2009

Ideal Movie Viewing Conditions

I remember when I went to see The Water Boy in the theater. I had the day off and stopped by a nearly empty theater. Just as the previews started, two ladies came in with about 7 or 8 kids who were all the same age. It must have been a birthday party but I was surprised they'd take such young kids to an Adam Sandler movie. Anyway they came in and started talking loudly and didn't stop making noise until the movie was over.

Ideal movie viewing can be compromised by people who constantly talk during a movie. Some other common problems are people who make phone calls and text, people who go to the bathroom 3 times during a movie, broken chairs, sticky floors, noisy babys, people who criticize or heckle a movie, and sitting too close to the screen.

I once heard that when famous movie critics like Roger Ebert review a movie, that the movie producers would make conditions comfortable for them so they could have an ideal movie viewing experience and hopefully give the movie a better rating. If that was true and I were a movie producer I'd include a foot massage and a fine meal as part of the movie review experience.

The worst possible scenario for watching a movie is when you are tired and falling asleep. This doesn't happen often in the theater, but anyone who has stayed up late trying to watch a DVD can relate to this. I hate it when I can't stay awake and doze off and have to rewind scenes or spend several nights trying to get through the same movie. No matter how good a movie may be, watching it while tired and fatigued can ruin the experience. I'm sure I have been critical of many movies over the years due to the fact that I tried watching them while I was falling asleep and had a bad experience.

No comments:

 
Large Association of Movie Blogs