Saturday, February 7, 2009

Babylon A.D.

Babylon A.D. is a futuristic movie about a mercenary who is hired to transport a young woman from Russia to America. In a departure from his usual roles Vin Diesel plays a tough action hero. So maybe it's the same role he's always known for, but the poor rating I give this movie can't be pinned on Diesel. I love futuristic action movies but was disappointed with this one so this will be a short review.

The movie had my attention at the beginning. I was totally shocked to see the main character butcher and stir fry a cat for his dinner. I'm sure that scene didn't win any glowing reviews from PETA. The movie pretty much went down hill from there. I know better than to criticize unrealistic details when you are dealing with a science fiction movie. I usually cut that genre some slack when I see something fake, but it was hard for me to watch the characters outrun missiles while riding on snowmobiles.

I think my wife summed it up best when she said "that actually had some potential to be a good movie but they blew it." I agreed with her. It seemed to be missing something but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it just needed a logical plot that wasn't riddled with holes. I had a hard time caring about this movie by the time it was over. I give it 5.4 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

 
Large Association of Movie Blogs