Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Express

I love sports and inspirational stories so why was I a little reluctant to see this movie? Maybe it was just overload from seeing so many movies like Glory Road, Remember the Titans, Miracle, Cinderella Man, Hoosiers, We Are Marshall, Rudy, Friday Night Lights, The Rookie, etc. I enjoyed most of these movies, but the problem I've had with this genre is that many of these movies are merely based on true events. These stories always seem to loose some of the magic when you find out the game didn't come down to a last second play or that certain events in the movie were exaggerated or completely fabricated. I think I'd still be more impressed with a sports movie that is 100% accurate even if it's a little less dramatic or exciting. That's one reason I liked the documentary Hoop Dreams.

Now that I've disclosed my prejudice against this genre, I have to admit I did enjoyed this movie. I thought Rob Brown did a great job of Playing Ernie Davis. I haven't been a huge Dennis Quaid fan but I think this is one of his better roles. I empathized with Davis' plight and the irony of being the star of the team yet being treated like a second class citizen. I think the strongest thing this movie had going for it was the subject matter showing the racial tension and how backwards things were during that time in history.

If you enjoy sports movies based on true events then you will probably enjoy The Express. I give it 7.0 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

 
Large Association of Movie Blogs