Sunday, March 7, 2010

Gentlemen Broncos

I had been looking forward to seeing Gentlemen Broncos for quite a while. I had to wait for it to come to video since it was only shown in a limited number of theaters. This is a movie with the same plot as Big Fat Liar which is kind of ironic since the movie is about plagiarizing and stealing others' ideas. Gentlemen Broncos is directed by Jared Hess whose claim to fame includes Napoleon Dynamite and Nacho Libre. This movie has many similarities, like odd personalities and goofy looking characters.

Gentlemen Broncos features three adaptations of the same geeky science fiction story and takes it up a notch when it comes to crudeness. If you enjoy jokes and gags about gonads, boobs, vomit, and poop, you will probably love this film. I am not a big crude humor fan, but I have to admit that over the years I have kept track of movies that feature vomit scenes. There are some prolific vomiting scenes in cinema history thanks to movies like My Giant, Mafia, and Stand by Me, but this movie offers one of the most extreme vomit scenes I have ever seen.

Overall, this movie made me laugh a lot, but I'll be the first to admit it's pretty stupid. I especially enjoyed the performances by Sam Rockwell and Jermaine Clement. I give it 6.4 generous stars, but it's definitely not for everyone (That is code language meaning it's a guy movie or for really immature audiences). I'm kind of embarrassed, but the more I think about it, the more I liked this movie.

2 comments:

Charlotte said...

Dang, even though the trailer looked kind of weird I really did sort of want to see this movie. Now I'm not so sure... Haha. Sam Rockwell is my favorite actor though, so I might see it anyway I guess :)

MikkSolo said...

I need a good "guy" movie.

 
Large Association of Movie Blogs