Friday, May 21, 2010

Based on a True Story

This week I finally saw The Blind Side. I'm too lazy to write a review, but just let me say I liked it and would give it 7.5 stars. How is that for a brief review? I think most people like movies that are "based on a true story". I usually do. A close cousin to this type of movie is the "based on actual events" genre. As inspiring as these movies may be, I always wonder in the back of my mind which parts or real and what parts Hollywood chose to spice up or exaggerate.

Take a war movie for instance. Is the reference to an actual war or battle the true part and the rest just someones imagination? Where do you draw the line? I would love to make a movie about myself and promote it as based on a true story. The real part would be my name, the fact that I'm a man, and enjoy eating pastries, but I would probably elaborate a little about the martial arts skills, being a secret agent, and the part about playing in the NBA.

Even when a real event movie is good like Rudy, Gifted Hands, Flash of Genius, Erin Brokovich, The Pursuit of Happyness, etc. it makes you wonder what parts were not that accurate. I can tell you one area that is almost always embellished. It entails using attractive actors for the lead characters in the movie. When you watch one of these movies and then see the special features on DVD after and they interview the person the movie was about, they seldom look like Brad Pit or Kate Beckinsale.

I am proposing that any time someone does a movie based on a true story, that they have to list in small print on the poster "Except in real life this person is not that good looking." I hope I haven't ruined inspirational movies based on real events and true stories for you with my cynicism, but this is something I have always struggled with.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

I can accept that “in the back of your mind, you always wonder which parts are real and what parts are Hollywood”, because it’s natural to doubt and to question the things in life. Still, I believe, true stories are an important part of a human being, connecting one to another through those who choose to share true experiences, which is why I wrote Mommy’s Writings. It helps all of us to see life in a different perspective and this advances humanity. And no, your cynicism hasn’t ruined my perspective about true stories. In fact, it brought a smile to my face and I still enjoy viewing them!

Suzanne McMillen-Fallon, Published Author
www.strategicbookpublishing.com/Mommy, would you like a sandwich?

 
Large Association of Movie Blogs