Monday, March 14, 2011

Battle: Los Angeles


I recently saw Battle Los Angeles and I have mixed feelings about this movie. The action and special effects were the main reason I went and I'm pretty sure that's why most people will want to see it. It has a similar storyline to War of the Worlds and Independence day so that's nothing original, but I did like the aspect of showing the invasion from the point of view of a marine platoon.

What bothered me even more than some cheesy dialogue was the drawn out emotional aspect of the film. I liked Aaron Eckhart's performance, but I was kind of shaking my head during some of the dramatic scenes. Some scenes reminded me of Bill Pullman giving his speech in Independence Day complete with the Jerry Brookheimer feel with flags waving in slow motion in the background accompanied by dramatic music. It was a little overkill. 

I'm also getting tired of Michelle Rodriguez type cast in the same role. She always plays some tough as nails chick in everything and I'd like to see a new face sometime or at least make her wear a dress and be in a Victorian era BBC film once for every 5 action movies she does.

The aliens rocked. You don't really get a good look at them since they are usually dressed in armor, but their ships and technology were pretty cool and there were a few times I felt like I was watching a horror or zombie movie instead of just a science fiction movie. I guess that's what happens when you let the director of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre direct this film.

I know this movie has it's weak spots, but I still give it 6.8 stars due to the intense battle scenes and great special effects.
 
Large Association of Movie Blogs