Monday, September 5, 2022

RRR

Last month I watched RRR on Netflix which stands for Rise, Roar, Revolt. I wasn't sure what to expect from this Indian action movie but was pleasantly surprised. The first several scenes of the movie got me hooked mostly from the beautiful cinematography and special effects. A few minutes into the movie I realized that this movie was not going to be bogged down by the laws of physics. Much of the action was incredibly fake but it looked so amazing I didn't even mind.

This movie takes place in India in the 1920's. A young Indian girl is kidnapped from her village by a cruel British governor. A warrior is dispatched from her people to go and find her and bring her back. At the same time, an elite Indian soldier serving in the British military is sent out to locate and stop this man. They meet one another unaware of each other's true identities or intentions and quickly become good friends. There are some plot twists and surprises as the film progresses but I won't spoil them here.

All the British people in this movie except for one woman are portrayed as heartless, sadistic colonizers. The near three hour movie features a bromance among the two main characters that crosses the entire spectrum of intense emotions. There is plenty of crazy, unrealistic CGI, but because it was so beautiful and entertaining I could not really hold it against the movie. Since this was an action movie, I was unprepared for the two or three traditional Bollywood musical/dance numbers it featured. It felt kind of like watching Indian Jones and then having it morph into the Sound of Music.

After seeing many mediocre superhero movies over the last few years, I felt this was a breath of fresh air and very entertaining even though it is a little long. I give it 7.7 stars.

No comments:

 
Large Association of Movie Blogs