Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Invictus and Parnassus

Recently I saw two movies on DVD. They were Invictus and The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. These movies have nothing in common, but I will attempt to give a quick review and share some of my delightful insights from each film. I can almost guarantee this will be the best dual review of both of these movies that you will find on the Internet this week.

I like sports movies, but I don't like Rugby. I like Matt Damon, but not with bleached hair. Despite these conflicts, I really liked this movie. Morgan Freeman did an excellent job of portraying Nelson Mandella. This movie kind of had a Gandhi feel to it with all the wisdom and self control that Freeman portrays. I think Clint Eastwood is a stud and an even better director than an actor. I enjoy his work and would gladly let him make a movie about me any day. Another thing I like about Invictus is how I can make a pun out of the title. I have been wanting to say "that they can't invictus of a crime we haven't committed," but there just hasn't been an occasion to say that yet. I give Invictus 7.6 stars.

The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus is a Terry Gilliam project and has weird Monty Pythonness all over it. It is probably best known for being Heath Ledger's last film and it is very interesting how Johnny Depp, Jude Law, and Colin Farrell all play different versions of the same character Tony. I thought the movie was very creative, but if you really want to get the most out of it, I'd suggest watching it after surgery while you are on pain killers. I give it 7.2 stars. The cast was great and they all had good performances, but If you don't like weird stuff, do yourself a favor and stay away.

1 comment:

 
Large Association of Movie Blogs