Sunday, June 20, 2010

Clash of the Titans

I remember when the original Clash of the Titans movie came out in 1981. As a kid I was excited to see it and thought the special effects were cool, but today's technologically spoiled audience would probably just laugh at the special effects from back then. This movie was kind of entertaining, but I was disappointed overall. Below are some of my random observations.

Poseidon got ripped off. Of the three God brothers, he got less screen time than a Stan Lee cameo. Speaking of cameos, when Perseus picked up the stupid metal owl Bubo from the first movie, I was so thankful that he put it down and that was the end of it. Bubo was the Jar Jar Binks of the original.

I liked Sam Worthington in Terminator Salvation. He was alright in Avatar, but I just couldn't buy him as Perseus. Maybe it was his Aussie accent he forgot to cover up. Maybe it was the fact that he had a buzz haircut, yet every other male character in the movie had long hair.

If Andromeda was supposed to be the most beautiful woman in Argos, they should have spent more time casting or in makeup Sorry if that sounds rude. I'm sure she's a model but the thought came into my mind a couple times during the movie. While I'm on the subject of judging women by their looks, Gemma Arterton looks much better with a tan in the Prince of Persia previews than this movie.

What was up with the desert alien guys with glowing blue eyes? Seriously, was this supposed to be an episode of Dr. Who or a movie about Greek Mythology?

My other pet peeve was the whole 3D thing. I saw it in a regular theater and I kept noticing when objects would come flying out towards the screen. I reminded me of Dr. Tongues house of pancakes on Monster Chiller Horror Theater. The whole 3D thing is over rated.

On the positive side Liam Neelse, Mads Mikkelson, and Ralph Fiennes were good in their roles. Why is Fiennes always a bad guy? I will always remember him as Heathcliff, a Nazi, Voldemort, or Hades. It would be nice to see him in a comedy sometime. Maybe Dumb and Dumber 3. Overall I guess Clash of the Titans was somewhat entertaining and it made think Percy Jackson wasn't so bad after all. I only give it 6.0 generous stars and that's because I feel bad for saying rude stuff about the women in the film.

No comments:

 
Large Association of Movie Blogs