Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Green Hornet


I wasn't expecting much after I saw the preview for The Green Hornet, which is why I waited for it to come out on video before watching it. I had seen clips of the original TV show when I was a kid and new Bruce Lee starred in the series, but wasn't too familiar with the story line.

Seth Rogan plays Britt Reid, who is a spoiled rich kid who does nothing with his life. When his father dies, he inherits his media empire and decides to make a difference in the world. He and his side kick Kato played by Jay Chou, begin fighting crime as anonymous vigilanties at night. Reid creates the identity of the Green Hornet and is pretty narcissistic in his attempt to promote his alter ego's popularity through his newspaper.

Reid is kind of like Iron Man or Batman in that he has unlimited financial resources and gadgets to help him fight crime. He is an unlikely guy to be a superhero. Kato is the only competent member of the duo, but I had a problem with him having the power to stop time when he fights the bad guys. What's up with that?

This movie was a little better than I expected. It doesn't take itself too seriously and there is enough humor in it to keep it entertaining. Without the humor, The Green Hornet would have been horrible. Despite being fake and campy, I still give it a generous 6.3 stars.

No comments:

 
Large Association of Movie Blogs