Saturday, April 30, 2011

Skyline


I had been told how bad Skyline was, but I ignored the warnings and rented it anyway. I'm actually kind of glad that I did since I can now add Skyline and Battle of Los Angeles to my rival movie list. They both came out at the same time and are about aliens attacking Los Angeles.

I didn't really care about any of the characters in this movie. There is no character development and they all appear to be pretty shallow. They are also pretty stupid. The aliens are attacking outside so they decide to leave the penthouse were they are hiding and make their way to the marina so they can escape on a boat since they have a hunch they won't be attacked if they are on water? The must have seen Signs.

One distraction I had with this movie was that I kept waiting for a guitar strum or dream beat when Donald Faison would deliver his lines since I've been conditioned from watching Scrubs, but it never happened. I was also a little confused about the aliens. They looked like the sentinels in The Matrix but also had the traditional space ships, as well as giant dinosaurs looking monsters.

Skyline has good special effects and is a combination of Independence Day, War of the Worlds, and Cloverfield, but it's not as good as any of them. I guess the critics were right. I try not to jump on the bashing band wagon since I frequently enjoy movies that others didn't care for, but I can only give Skyline 5.0 stars. At least it made Battle Los Angeles look way better than I originally thought it was.

No comments:

 
Large Association of Movie Blogs