Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Tourist


The Tourist was promoted as an action, drama, romance, but after watching it, I came away thinking this movie was an excuse for Angelina Jolie to walk around exotic locations in Europe in slow motion in designer gowns. If you are into fashion, makeup, modeling, or glamor shots, then this movie may be appealing to you.

Johny Depp seemed like he had been sedated for his role in this movie. Unlike his amped up personality as Jack Sparrow, he now has all the excitement of a mashed potato sandwich on white bread. I'm not blaming him, I know that was what the role called for, but it's kind of hard to see him so sluggish and reserved.

Be prepared for lots of this.
And even more of this.

I'm not really complaining about all the glamor in this movie. It's tasteful and not slutty which is a nice change for Hollywood, but it takes more than pretty faces to make a movie (I hope you heard that Christopher Walken and Steve Buscemi). I also had higher expectations for this movie since Paul Bettany, Rufus Sewell, and Timothy Dalton all have supporting roles. Despite the talented cast and a surprise ending, I can only give The Tourist 6.5 stars.

No comments:

 
Large Association of Movie Blogs